Friday, January 6, 2012

Some Thing More People Should Hear

So, I know it's been awhile since I posted last. And there is good reason for that. I have been very busy. Along with the holidays, I recently decided that I am not ready for the seminary life and have returned home to Cincinnati. But that's not at all what this post is about.
This post is about some thing that I feel more people need to hear. So, listen carefully.
Every politician...every single one...lies. Inherently. They wouldn't be politicians if they didn't. So, how does this affect us?
I keep hearing people say, "Such-and-such-candidate is crazy!" or "Does such-and-such want America to be destroyed?" or "such-and-such is the next Hitler!" Really? I would suggest said people to use their reason, but we are Americans, so I won't set such high expectations. The rest of the world doesn't.
I will be voting this year. I know that scares most of you, especially after reading above paragraph. But I will be voting, and here is how I will vote. I do not vote for the candidate I love the most; the candidate I think will be best for the United States of America. I do not love any candidate; I do not think any candidate will be best for the United States.
I will vote for the candidate I think will cause the least amount of evil (evil in this case meaning "negative affects") to the United States.
We are a Democratic Republic. The people have a voice. And so long as they do (and I hope they always do, although this has been challenged as of Wednesday [for more information, Google: "Richard Cordray" or to save you time, use this link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/richard-cordray-appointed-by-obama-to-head-consumer-watchdog-bureau/2012/01/04/gIQAGyqraP_story.html]), people will disagree with the president. People will always see negative affects come from the actions of our government (provided that they come from the government, and not via the power of a single man.)
But that's the beauty of it! The people of the United States of America have the right to disagree with the president and use their vote accordingly. (Also...fun fact...did you notice that veto is an anagram of vote?) So, our nation's in the tank. So what? Worse things have happened. And there are nations in much worse condition than us. I hope we find a solution. I have great faith that we will. But at what cost?
I personally believe that the biggest contributing factor to the state of our union is the decay (if not total lack thereof) of a moral standard. That is my opinion, the opinion I hold by right, right given to me by my God and my country. I will not force it upon any one. I only ask that you consider this. Consider such issues such as capital punishment, same sex marriage, euthanasia, trouble in the Middle East, immigration reform, and perhaps most importantly, abortion. Even and especially if you agree with me. I know too many people who vote blindly, they vote based off what other people tell them. I would be more comfortable with the knowledge that you voted against me but made your own decision than vote with me simply because some one told you. However, I will stand strong and state that I personally believe that sufficient and correct reasoning has led me to my decisions.
Over the course of the next eleven months, I hope you can take into consideration these issues at hand.
(And also be aware of the fact that Julius Caesar also bypassed the Senate in order to grant himself further power, which he claimed was for the good of Rome seeing as the Senate had become dysfunctional, ineffective, and corrupted. What resulted became the Roman Empire, the end of the Roman Republic. One more parallel between Rome and America?)


No comments:

Post a Comment